The term ‘maintenance’ includes many activities, including inspection, testing, measurement, replacement, and adjustment. Maintenance has a vital role in reducing the risk associated with the environment industry’s workplace hazards and providing safer and healthier working conditions. Insufficient/inadequate maintenance can cause serious (and potentially deadly) accidents or health problems.
The Maintenance position in the Environmental Industry will be responsible for various semi-skilled and skilled technical and maintenance work in the operation, maintenance, and repair of pumps, electrical, and pipes. It will be the maintenance employee’s job to ensure that all equipment works smoothly for better productivity and to reduce the chances of workplace hazards.
The employee in a maintenance job has various responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Welding & Fabrication work
- Overall maintenance of pumps
- Routine inspections of equipment
- Maintain accurate records of work performed
- Grounds Maintenance
- General Maintenance
- Create and uphold a sustainable and positive workplace culture
- Perform additional duties as assigned
If you’re applying for the maintenance job, you also need to keep in mind that your responsibilities may not be limited to just the responsibilities mentioned above.
Competencies required for the Maintenance position
Environmental maintenance workers perform a crucial job, and typically have this accomplished skill set to perform their responsibilities.
- Must be able to follow direct supervision and instructions.
- Must be able to work independently and carry out tasks without direct guidance as needed.
- Punctuality and the ability to manage one’s own time.
- Must have the ability to maintain and generate accurate records and reports effectively.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods.
- Must be able to climb (limited climbing).
- Must have the strength to lift up to 30 pounds (if required)
- Facility environment may involve noise, dust, rain, hot and cold temperatures
- Must have in-depth knowledge of safe industry practices, including OH&S, environmental, and engineering standards.
Experience required for Maintenance position
If you’re are planning to apply for a Maintenance position in the environment industry, you must have:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Electrical experience in an industrial environment desired
- Experience maintaining pumps or similar pieces of equipment
- Working knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Knowledge and skills to effectively operate, maintain, inspect, and repair pumps
- Must be able to pass pre-employment general physical
Benefits of Maintenance employee
A maintenance employee earns well around $25-35/ hr, depending on the experience along with other employee benefits, including:
- Paid Vacation
- Potential Bonus
- Health and Dental
Moreover, between 2018 and 2028, the environmental maintenance worker career is expected to grow 6% and produce 85,400 job opportunities across the U.S.
Clean Water Environmental (CWE) is a rapidly growing environmental business located in Dayton, Ohio, with extensive benefits and room for career advancement. At CWE, we provide an opportunity to create a sustainable environment, improve the community, and innovate new technological processes to treat hazardous waste, wastewater, used oil, and automotive airbags. We also focus on providing a safe workplace, collaborative culture, and customer service to our employees and customers.
If you’re planning to make your career as an environmental maintenance worker, get in touch with us today to see our open jobs!